Friday 22 June 2007

Wet Felting

Today, the weather has mainly been wet - again. This pic of the rowan tree was taken this morning.



Since I have been feeling decidedly uninspired and uncreative, I thought I should force myself to do something. Believe it or not, I had never actually got around to making felt, so I gave it a go. It turned out not too badly. My first bit was a little thin in areas, I probably could have done with working it a bit more. My second piece was larger and too thick in bits! I need more practice obviously. I'm just following the instructions I got from a piece of paper, so if anyone has any words of wisdom on the subject, feel free!

This is the first piece before felting.



Both pieces after felting.



And the back of the larger piece - which was a different colour from the front.



All in all, I'm fairly pleased to have achieved something today and it does seem to have stirred the creative juices a little. I have decided I really need to keep a notebook of ideas, so that when inspiration strikes, I can make notes and sketches etc to refer back to. Otherwise, I just forget!

Oh, and when I showed my other half the felt, he (carefully!) said it was nice, but 'what do you actually do with it?'. He has a lot to learn...

10 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Hey, a fellow Scot!! I think you've achieved something remarkable there - stuff what you need to do with it - it IS, that's enough! (Bloody men, eh?) Well done, hon, it's much more than I could do..

AC said...

Don't you just hate it when they say it is 'nice' when they really mean something like 'please don't interupt me while I'm playing Xbox' OR perhaps if I say nice it will please her and she will shut up!!!
I think it is lovely and I would love to have a go. It is on my list of things to do:-)
Alison x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Its addictive, once you start...
Amazing results, my first go looked like a sodden rag!!!
Suzie Sews

Barbara said...

Wow, I think I must sit on my embellisher and felt. Wonderful! ..and thank you for your comment on my blog!

FARBTUPFER said...

When I hear these sentences, I anwser: This is all, the world doens´t need, but I need it. It´s difficult fo me to say it correct in English, I hope you understand me.

david mcmahon said...

The perfect thing to do in dreary weather.

Susan D said...

Men just don't understand do they, though I suppose some women can be the same if they are not artistic like us. I had a go at felt making a while ago from these instructions http://www.nmm.ac.uk/upload/pdf/Liberating-lanscapes-methods-materials.pdf
You can see my efforts if you go to September 2006 on my blog.

Val said...

I think your pieces of felt are just gorgeous. Sue B has made a beautiful bag with some of hers. I'm going to have a go too, when I've looked at Susan D's blog to see how!! Val

Alis Clair said...

Great felt.
Did you enjoy making it? It is a great way to get rid of excess energy.
You know the kind you get when you get silly comments from men!!

Carol said...

Your felt making is wonderful. It's so very addictive. I love the felt balls the kids made how wonderful that they enjoyed it.